If you struggle with depression, you probably know that the very things that will help you feel better can be the most difficult to do. Here are self-help tips for dealing with depression.
The key is to start small.
One cuddle with a pet, one simple meal, one call to a friend.
Here is a list of self-help categories to help you organize your recovery plan.
- Getting support from others. Talk to a friend or family member. Email, text, or call someone. Make plans to get together. Ask someone over to help with a chore.
- Nurturing yourself. Spend time in nature. Take a hot bath or shower.
- Getting exercise. Take a walk. Do a yoga or exercise routine on YouTube.
- Eating a mood-boosting diet. Avoid processed food and sugar. Add more dark green vegetables and healthy fats (nuts, avocados) to your diet.
- Challenging negative thinking. Ask yourself, would I talk that way to a friend?
- Knowing when to seek further help. Treatment for depression is available and effective. Talk to your doctor or a therapist.
Want more self-help tips for depression? Here is a longer article at Help Guide.
If you are using self-help tips and your depression is not getting better, please get professional help. I work with people who deal with depression, and if I’m not the right therapist for you, I can help you find someone who is.